By Alexander Assmann
Once again, Alexander has collated a bunch of the frequently asked questions.
There’s click through links to the answers from our Q&A videos and links to the podcast we did with Crossthreaded and links to the AskEdd video shot with Edd China.
Nik and Richard have answered many questions in the Unplugged Q&A Session, Unplugged Q&A Session Volume 2, The Crossthreaded Podcast, AskEdd Ep.6, on the forum and in the comments section of their Facebook posts.
It is also clear that the guys will not publish any spoilers, so if Your question is “What colour is it going to be?” or “What will You do to the engine?”, they simply will not answer it. You just have to wait and see…
I have compiled most of the questions to the categorized list below. To get the answer, just click on the question.
What is Project Binky?
Nik & Richard:
We’re trying to create one of the fastest Minis on the planet. We’re going to rebuild it with the engine and running gear from a Toyota Celica ST185 GT-4. Or at least that’s the plan. Whether it comes off or not is another matter. We’re filming this as it happens so what you see is only a few weeks behind where we’re actually at so we’re not sure yet whether we can do it. That’s kind of the fun though. Stick with us through the highs and the lows of the project. Hopefully it’ll be worth the agony and cash.
- Must use standard Rover Mini panels
- Not allowed to stretch the front, the back or widen it (except for arches to cover the wheels)
- Needs to look like any other slightly modified standard Mini
- Needs to seat four (in an ideal world), back seats do not need to be useable
- Should end up with a nicer-looking version of the rusty pile of old junk they started with.
Would like to have:
- Electric windows
- Remote central locking
- Power steering
- Banging tunes
- Is ‘Binky’ a Discworld reference?
- What on earth possessed You to try and shoehorn the guts of a GT-Four into a Mini?
- Why a Mini?
- Why this particular Mini?
- What colour is it going to be?
- Why a GT-Four? Answer 1 ; Answer 2
- When is it going to be finished? – for another answer listen to the Crossthreaded Podcast, from 48.50
- What’s Binky’s intended use? Would it be eligible for racing?
- What’s Your expected 0-60 time?
- Will Binky be faster than a stock Celica GT-4?
Project(s) in general
- A friend and I are considering making an RX8 powered MG midget. What do you think of that idea?
- Is there just the 2 of You working on this project? Is this Your only project on the go and is it Your first priority?
- How has this project changed Your lives?
- How do you stay motivated?
- What aspect of the build were you most unsure of and did you have a backup plan?
- What has pissed you off the most?
- Any regrets?
- What will the next project(s) be? – Answer 1 ; Answer 2 ; for another answer listen to the Crossthreaded Podcast, from 55.20
- When you’re done, will you start an equally cool LADA build?
- How do You protect the steel to stop it rusting after You’ve fabricated it? Do You inject any rust preventative into the hollow sections?
- What type of primer do You use to protect the welds/metal?
- Will the “steering arms welded to the struts”-system hold up?
- Why did You start with a new floor if You’re going to be chopping most of it out?
- Did You consider blasting/dipping the Mini shell before you started?
- Why the “POP” after each weld? – for an answer listen to the Crossthreaded Podcast, from 28.40;
- What’s you number one tip for beginner sheet metal welding?
- Most enthusiasts tend to over spec the steel needed for fabricating something. Is there a good rule of thumb that we can use to know what thickness material to use for certain tasks?
- What plans do you have for restoring the Celica parts?
- What has impressed you the most in the build (what you have achieved, built/made yourselves)?
- What is the most frustrating part of fabrication, especially given that you are perfectionists?
- How much longer does it take to film the fabrication?
- Which tool makes the best noise?
- Can you prove your claim to have the wobbliest hole saw in the world?
Tea & biscuits
- Which brand of tea bags do You use? Answer 1 ; Answer 2
- Who makes the best cup of tea?
- How many cups of tea has it taken so far?
- Is the weight of biscuits consumed, greater than or less than the weight of steel used in the build?
- Is it true that there are as many molecules in a teaspoon of water as there are teaspoons of water in the Pacific Ocean?
- Should the people, who put the milk in first when making tea, be (a) beaten (b) have their testicles removed with a rusty spoon (c) be shot and hung from the nearest bridge.
Youtube and social media
- How much of PB was social-media marketing exercise and how much was ‘let’s build something outrageous for the heck of it’?
- Has your growing popularity on YouTube had any effect on your daily lives or business?
- If you could do a collaboration with another car show who would it be?
- What advice would you have for someone wanting to start their own car themed channel on YouTube?
About Nik & Richard
- Where did You two learn Your trade and what got You into cars and modifying in the first place?
- What were the first cars you owned? What have been your favorites?
- Richard – What is the appeal of being a navigator? – for an answer listen to the Crossthreaded Podcast, from 4.50;
- Nik – How did You end up Rallying? – for an answer listen to the Crossthreaded Podcast, from 7.45;
- What bothers you about what others do to their cars?
- Holy Grail or Life of Brian?
- Will the series be available on DVD?
- Where can I find the Acme website to order side repeater holes?
- Would You rather fight one Celica-sized duck or 100 duck-sized Celicas?
- Can I borrow £20 to get some Gin?
- What’s the fastest land mammal?
- Can I have the Jig?
- Will You build another Jig?
- Will we ever get an episode where Rex Hamilton stars as Abraham Lincoln?
- What TV show do you two think would be fun to be in?